Monday, April 10, 2006

words that should be banished...

In my work lately, I've been reintroduced to the following word: soul-winner.

Soul-winner is a noun. It apparently is meant to describe an "effective" evangelist. An example of its possible usage in a sentence is: Billy Graham is a great soul-winner, because he has led thousands to the Lord.

This word troubles me...Exactly how many conversions must I oversee before I can be called a soul-winner? And is it still evangelism if I preach the gospel and they reject the message? If this happens, do I lose soul-winner points? Do I have to maintain a certain soul-winner batting average? I wonder if there is soul-winner club that I'd get invited to join?

What ever happened to the work of the Holy Spirit in all of this?!

In the end, I think that Paul would agree with my complaint against the idea of soul-winner. Paul writes to the Corinthians: I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 1 Corinthians 3:6-7

4 comments:

David said...

You make a very good point. There are alot of terms and phrases that we use in the church that should be bannished. Others, 'Saved', 'Lost', 'Winning to Christ', etc... It's funny how all of these words have a somewhat negative conotation toward the person you're trying to 'Save'. For every 'winner' there is a 'loser'.

Dave said...

Well, for one old friend...you can use the phrase "Re-introduced" to his faith.

-jhp- said...

Spiedel is that you?

-jhp- said...

David,
I would agree with you on "winning to Christ," unless of course we are talking about the Holy Spirit. But I do not have the same concerns with "saved" and "lost." While it may be that the concept of "insiders" and "outsiders" is offensive to post-modern ears, I find it to be a sound and significant biblical concept.

Also, thanks for answering my earlier post. I'm going to go post a reply to it now.

Peace in Christ my brother. I hope to see you sometime soon!