Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Devotional Thoughts with Saint Augustine...

If Augustine only knew that John Piper would later rip off all of his good ideas...
What is there in me that could be hidden from thee, Lord, to whose eyes the abysses of man's conscience are naked, even if I were unwilling to confess it to thee? In doing so I would only hide thee from myself, not myself from thee. But now that my groaning is witness to the fact that I am dissatisfied with myself, thou shinest forth and satisfiest. Thou art beloved and desired; so that I blush for myself, and renounce myself and choose thee, for I can neither please thee nor myself except in thee...for when I am wicked, to confess to thee means nothing less than to be dissatisfied with myself...
Saint Augustine, The Confessions, X.II

In this devotional thought, Augustine points out that our satisfaction is only truly found in God.

No comments: